IP-Tables spoof protection problem with 2 interfaces

Hello everyone,
i've a problem with a dual homed host and the configuration of spoof
protection.

The host is a Linux box with two interfaces:
OS-Version     : Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
Kernel-Release : 2.4.20-24.9smp
CPU            : 0 - 1 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
CPU            : 1 - 2 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Interface      : eth0 X.X.4.43  X.X.4.255 (public class B net)
Interface      : eth1 X.X.1.43  X.X.1.255 (public class B net)

           /---------------------------------------------\
          /       internet                                \
           \                                              /
             router 1                               router 2
              |                   ----------          |
           subnet X.X.1.x -- eth1-| server |-eth0 -- subnet X.X.4.x
                                  ----------

Extraction from the script:
IF_0=eth0
IF_1=eth1
HOST="`/bin/hostname`"
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter
# spoof protection
${IPTABLES} -A INPUT -s $HOST -i $IF_0 -j DROP
${IPTABLES} -A INPUT -s $HOST -i $IF_1 -j DROP

Observed problems:
* Enabling "rp_filter" causes some of my ssh-connection to freeze (no
response,
  my computer is part of the internet);
  pinging both interfaces from a maschine in the internet fails, one of
them is
  not reachable; pinging them from a host within the subnet is possible
* Enabling the input-firewall-rules has the effect of a delay of a few
  minutes(!) when starting the script.

The aim of the "firewall"-script is to protect the host against undesired
connections. I need an advice.

thanx
R.