Re: IP-Tables spoof protection problem with 2 interfaces

--- Fabian Strachanski <fabian@zorro.uni-duisburg.de> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> i've a problem with a dual homed host and the configuration of spoof
> protection.
>
> The host is a Linux box with two interfaces:
> OS-Version     : Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
> Kernel-Release : 2.4.20-24.9smp
> CPU            : 0 - 1 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
> CPU            : 1 - 2 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
> Interface      : eth0 X.X.4.43  X.X.4.255 (public class B net)
> Interface      : eth1 X.X.1.43  X.X.1.255 (public class B net)
>
>            /---------------------------------------------\
>           /       internet                                \
>           |                                                |
>            \                                              /
>             ----------------------------------------------
>               |                                       |
>              router 1                               router 2
>               |                                       |
>               |                   ----------          |
>            subnet X.X.1.x -- eth1-| server |-eth0 -- subnet X.X.4.x
>                                   ----------
>
> Extraction from the script:
> IF_0=eth0
> IF_1=eth1
> HOST="`/bin/hostname`"
> echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter
> # spoof protection
> ${IPTABLES} -A INPUT -s $HOST -i $IF_0 -j DROP
> ${IPTABLES} -A INPUT -s $HOST -i $IF_1 -j DROP
IFIRC...

ssh uses the ethernet device for tunnels(and X11), this might cause your
ssh to stall.

Connections are made to the IP the client connected too.  When I use an
ethernet sniffer, on the local host, I get these pkts.  I don't think that
even a hubed host would acctualy be sniffable from other hosts.