pppoeconf problems

Hi,

I have a firewall box running Woddy 3.0r2 that gets its IP address
dynamically from an adsl modem.
Two or three times a day it looses the connection to the internet, an
ifconfig command won't show ppp0, so issuing "pon dsl-provider" usually
makes it work.
I have tried the same installation in three different pcs in different
places to no avail.
What should I touch here so it won't loose connection ?
and what should I modify to disable resolv.conf being updated by the
isp?
and where should I insert a line instucting the firewall to send an
email informing of the new ip address.

Or please where to find a tutorial.

Tkanks
Hector