Re: ADSL Router.

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 09:55:01PM +0800, Katipo wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 22:41:01 +1100
> "Matt Palmer" <mpalmer@hezmatt.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 07:39:47PM +0800, Katipo wrote:
> > > I thought that I would place this question here as I will shortly be
> > > building a standalone firewall, on an old 486, and so I specifically
> > > don't want a firewall/router combo.
> > > I was wondering what linux compatible routers list members were
> > > using, and how they found them to be, performance wise.
> >
> > DLink DSL-300, Gen-I, love it to death.  Don't bother getting a DSL
> > router, you're paying for functionality you're not using.
> >
> Thanks, Matt.
> What's this Gen-I?

Gen-I is a larger box, and has a DB-9 on the back, and comes with a serial
cable for it so you can play with it's CLI (no dirty thoughts, you lot!).  The
Gen-II's, which are what is mostly around now, is a smaller box with little
"fins" along the back, and has an RJ-12 socket which isn't wired to any known
standard, and D-Link won't tell anyone how it works, so we can't play serial
terminal any more.  That sucks.

That applies for pretty much all of the D-Link DSL- series gear.  And I tell
you, that serial port has saved me several times.

> I found the straight DSL-300 on the D-Link site, but no reference to a
> Gen-I model.

Some of the Gen-II's have a 'Gen-II' sticker on them, but not all.

> Plenty of Windoze driver downloads on site, too, but no mention of
> anything Linux. Do you know which of the kernel images support this?

It's totally OS independent.  It's basically a box that you plug an ADSL-enabled
phone line and an ethernet cable into, and what starts on one side in one
format ends up on the other side in the other format.

The winblows "drivers" are, at a guess, the shithouse GUI config utility and/or
firmware updates, which usually need the GUI config utility to load.  I dunno
about that, I've got an early Gen-I and my firmware seems pretty stiff, so I
don't think it needs replacing.

- Matt