ADSL Router.

Hello everybody.

I thought that I would place this question here as I will shortly be
building a standalone firewall, on an old 486, and so I specifically
don't want a firewall/router combo.
I was wondering what linux compatible routers list members were using,
and how they found them to be, performance wise.

I don't mind paying for commercial grade stuff, as this is what the
whole exercise is about. I'm teaching myself networking at home, with a
view to applying it in the commercial environment later.

I'm going to be having two PCs, a 486 mail server, a 486 firewall, and
further down the track a dual processor server.

Sorry to be so long winded.
Thanks for any information.
Regards,

David.