Re: ADSL Router.

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 10:26:24 -0500
Bob Clark <list@clark.2y.net> wrote:

> Why not let the 486 firewall box do the routing too, or is it your
> goal to learn about commercial routers?  You can run your own subnet
> behind the firewall and use iptables/masquerading to provide
> connectivity to the internet for hosts on your private subnet.
> --Bob

Hello Bob,

You've just hit the problem.
I'm too much of a newbie to know what I am talking about.
I'm in rural Australia doing dist-upgrades on a 56K modem over periods
of between 1 to 3 days, so broadband is a necessary step.

I have to find out a bit about network design as well, I suppose, and
having the firewall do it is probably the way to go. I've got some tutes
from 3Com and a couple of others bookmarked that I'll have to pay some
attention to. Somebody has already pointed out that a router is probably
overkill, and a D-Link DSL 300 is all I need.
Thanks,

David.