Re: system requirements

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 12:35:36AM -0500, Jos? Guzm?n wrote:
> Mensaje citado por "Jamin W. Collins" <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net>:
> >  --- Pierre THIERRY <pierre.thierry@moine-fou.org> escribi?:
> > >
> > > It seems very huge to me! I heard many running some 486 or pentium as
> > > thier firewall...
> >
> > I have a variety of systems running as firewalls ranging from a lowly
> > 486SX 25 Mhz with 16 Megs RAM all the way up to a K7 1.4 Ghz  with 512
> > Megs, the latter being serious overkill.  In most cases, I use the
> > oldest slowest machine that still runs reliably, [...]
>
> I would have to agree with Pierre, remember the original question was about
> routing gigabit ethernet, not a common home firewall.

I didn't see the bit about gigabit ethernet, came in late to the thread.
But gigabit or not, if you're merely routing the traffic the CPU is not
going to be your bottle neck in most cases.

--
Jamin W. Collins

To be nobody but yourself when the whole world is trying it's best night
and day to make you everybody else is to fight the hardest battle any
human being will fight. -- E.E. Cummings