Re: system requirements

 --- Pierre THIERRY <pierre.thierry@moine-fou.org> escribi?:
> > I would be looking close at 500+MHz for the CPU, to be honest.
>
> It seems very huge to me! I heard many running some 486 or pentium as
> thier firewall...

I have a variety of systems running as firewalls ranging from a lowly
486SX 25 Mhz with 16 Megs RAM all the way up to a K7 1.4 Ghz  with 512
Megs, the latter being serious overkill.  In most cases, I use the
oldest slowest machine that still runs reliably, this tends to be
something in the 100 to 300 Mhz (Pentium, PII, K6, etc) range.  The 486
handles a moderate broadband connection without a problem.  It can be
very slow when it comes to apt updates, but for a firewall these should
be fairly infrequent (security updates mostly).

The main concern isn'tprocessor power but memory for connection
tracking.  On the 486, with 16 Megs, the default max connections are
1024 while on the K7 with, 512 Meg, the default is 30712 (it uses some
system memory for video).  However, this number is adjustable the only
question is the memory devoted to connection tracking.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar