Re: ABC Firewall

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Davide wrote:
> I started my debian experience few weeks ago and I think that
> configure a Firewall it's a really important step. (right?) :-)

Extremely. Without a Firewall, connecting to the Internet is an
invitation to pain, these days. :/

> Well. I've a permanently connection in optical fiber with Fastweb (in
> Milan) (IP not static), I need to use Internet, mail and I need to
> permit to share files using winmx or similar application.
>
> My question is:
>
> How I have to configure my firewall (IPTables) ?
> How I could find some config. example (on-line) about IPTables?

I would strongly suggest using the 'firehol' tool to do this.
You can find the website on it at <http://firehol.sf.net/>, and it is
packaged in Debian unstable (and probably testing by now).

Since it is a simple shell script, you can also use the same package in
a Debian stable environment, or grab it from SourceForge.

While it will not design your firewall for you, it makes it trivial to
implement and understand the iptables system.

> Excuse for my basically question and be understanding with my English

You seem to be doing fine. :)
    Daniel

--
I am constantly amazed when I talk to young people to learn how much
they know  about sex and how little about soap.