Re: General notice

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 12:45:55PM -0500, Gerald V. Livingston II wrote:
> Just a general note. I hope the person who needs to see it DOES see it.
>
> If you are accessing this list, and other Debian lists, from a WINDOWS
> based system in a BUSINESS please install, update, and run a good virus
> scanner on all Winboxes connected to your network.
>
> I have noticed that the Swen virus load (that ONLY started following a post
> to THIS list) drops over the weekend to 1 or 2 per hour. Starting sometime
> Monday morning it jumps to 30 or 40 per hour. this suggests Swen has
> infected a BUSINESS system that is off over the weekend.

You don't actually understand Swen's major address collection mode, do you?
Swen scrapes addresses from news servers - and since most Debian lists are
mail<->news gatewayed, it means that your address probably got scraped off a
news server, not from a subscriber to this list.

As such, ranting here will, most likely, not contact the culprit, although
it may aid in the blood pressure.  <grin>

> You're running a BUSINESS with Windows boxes that don't have VIRUS
> PROTECTION?!? Shame on you!!

s/boxes.*PROTECTION//

HTH, HAND.

--
Note for spammers: These are your balls. (show two grains of rice) These are
your balls after SPEWS. (smash rice with a hammer) Any questions?