Firewall SPAM killer

Hello all,

Where I work we run a FirstClass server for our email/conferencing system. Our biggest problems as of late is that people are getting more and more spam but the folks that produce FirstClass have done very little (nothing is more like it) to add any sort of filtering to their software. This is becoming a sensitive issue for us as we are a K-12 school system, and it only takes one bad email to little johnny to cause quite a stir! Right now the FC server sits behind a linux firewall (bridging, iptables, nice and transparent), so I was wondering what my options were. I know I looked into using a kind of forwarding setup a while back, that is the mail get delivered to a host filtered, then forwarded on, but I was curious if there was any sort of "proxy" style spam filtering software out there? Something like how I have dansguardian/squid set up right now, it takes all the traffic from port 80 and redirects it to be filtered (transparent proxying). So I was thinking some thing like that only in reverse (ie it's a connection from out side the I would be redirecting).

How off the wall am here?

Matt