Re: basic question about firewall usage

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 07:23:27AM -0700, Xucaen wrote:
> Hi all, I am going to set up a p133 as a
> dedicated firewall. I have a couple of PCs
> networked and I would like to share my cable
> internet. Is there a concern with using this
> machine to for other things, such as priner
> server, sql server, email server? I'm just
> looking for general information to start my
> research. This is all pretty new to me.

I have a p120 serving as a firewall of several network machines.  I too have cable modem service.  I have that machine doing DHCP, DNS, WINS, some SAMBA stuff.  To me, an e-mail server might be too much.  Generally an e-mail server should be a separate box to avoid the whole single point of failure issue.  You should be fine w/ a print server... just keep an eye on open ports and running unnecessary services.  I wouldn't run SQL on the firewall.  Security hole.

HTH,

--
Darryl N. Grant
Network Services Manager