Re: bandwidth monitoring

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Doug_The_Slug wrote:

> i used to run a win2k router, and switched to a debian router a couple weeks
> back.  this has many advantages, but there has been one downside to this.
> on my win2k router, i had a program called DUMeter (Download/Upload Meter)
> which has graphical bandwidth monitoring along with good stats collection
> and presentation.
>
> but now with my debian router, the only way i currently have to monitor
> bandwidth throughput is ifconfig.  and using that makes it almost impossible
> to actually see data throughput rates.  now, there is no gui on this
> machine, since it is only a barebones router, but is there any bandwidth
> monitoring app i can use to see throughput, and possibly some stats
> collection (ie: how much per day/week/month and so on...)

For current info, iptraf works well.  It also shows you current sessions.
It does not collect statistics over time, however.  For that, I think you
want mrtg.

Also, I have had good experience with ntop.  It gives you all sorts of
statistics on your traffic, and lots of "pretty graphs" for your
management (yes, we do need that faster connection, look at the pretty
graphs) ;)

--
Beauty, brains, availability, personality; pick any two.