bandwidth monitoring

i used to run a win2k router, and switched to a debian router a couple weeks
back.  this has many advantages, but there has been one downside to this.
on my win2k router, i had a program called DUMeter (Download/Upload Meter)
which has graphical bandwidth monitoring along with good stats collection
and presentation.

but now with my debian router, the only way i currently have to monitor
bandwidth throughput is ifconfig.  and using that makes it almost impossible
to actually see data throughput rates.  now, there is no gui on this
machine, since it is only a barebones router, but is there any bandwidth
monitoring app i can use to see throughput, and possibly some stats
collection (ie: how much per day/week/month and so on...)

note: preferrably something i can get through apt-get and not tarballs of
the source.  makes it so much easier.

-doug