IPtables kernel support.

My previously running router machine began to fail after 2 years.. (several
power outages).

I went to re-install debian and found that kernel support for iptables is no
longer included in base distro's and have been banging my head against the wall
for a couple of days now.

Any readme's or suggestions?

I've gotten all of the kernel modules compiled into a new kernel that seem to
deal with networking and I've got IPtables working but I've lost eth1 now and
can't get it working...

I inserted the correct drivers with modconf and I'm still getting:

unable to locate module eth1