Re: ICMP Questions for IPtables Rules

Hi,

Jeff Bonner writes:
>  $IPT -A INPUT  -p icmp -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED     -j ACCEPT

Nowadays I just use

    $IPTABLES -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

which is very general (ie doesn't specify a protocol), and also includes ICMP
answers to TCP, UDP and ICMP (echo-request) output packets.

>From what I read in "Building Internet Firewalls", 2nd edition (BIF), I used to
allow these ICMP types:

    # Off: echo-request redirect

    for t in echo-reply source-quench time-exceeded \
             parameter-problem destination-unreachable; do
      $IPTABLES -A ch_icmp -p ICMP --icmp-type $t -j ACCEPT
    done

I also remember reading that source-quench could be misused (maybe in "Firewalls and
Interent Security"?), but BIF states that it should be allowed.

Regards,

--
Adriano