The limit module

Hei

Put the following rule in a fw. I thought that it work so that only 3 logs per
minute would be made of ping requests.

  # log and accept ping requests
  $IPT -A INPUT -p icmp -s 0/0 --icmp-type 8 -m limit --limit 3/minute -j LOG --log-prefix "ping"
  $IPT -A INPUT -p icmp -s 0/0 --icmp-type 8 -j ACCEPT

Doesn't seem to work that way. Seems that all ping requests are logged - a bit
irritating as I have a friend who often leaves ping running and goes and
does other stuff when he is testing the connection to this machine and the
logs get even more boring to read than normal.

Am I missing something?

t.irvine

--

 Whoever thinks a faultless piece to see,
 Thinks what ne'er was, nor is, nor ne'er shall be.

 Alexander Pope, An Essay On Criticism.