Re: Simple Setup for xDSL in and a local net

On 02 Sep 2002, Mariano Kamp wrote:
> I'd like to have a machine acting as the local net gateway to the
> internet using a xDSL connection. It should also do masquerading or
> something similar which allows the 192'er clients to connect to the
> outside world using my dynamic ip.
>
> I am *very* new to iptables and, unfortunately, also to debian. Where
> should I start looking for information?

I get the impression that it's not just iptables but firewalling in
general that is new to you, right?

If so, I would *strongly* urge you to grab something like Mason[1],
Shorewall[2] or IPcop[3] which provide an out of the box firewall
system.

I would chose Shorewall of the three listed, because I never reviewed
IPcop and because Mason is more liberal as far as I can see.

They all provide a firewall system that's easy to configure and
reasonably safe without your needing to know the details of how iptables
and the like work.

Of course, being open source you can read them and find out what they
are doing, so you can learn without having to know it all ahead of time.

    Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  'mason' package.

[2]  'shorewall' package.

[3]  Which has a good reputation but I have never seen myself.

--
Be an explorer...read, surf the internet, visit customers, enjoy arts, watch
children play...do anything to prevent yourself from becoming a prisoner of