Re: Simple Setup for xDSL in and a local net

Hi Mariano,

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 01:41:25AM +0200, Mariano Kamp wrote:
>   hopefully I am on the right list here?

Yes, I think so.

>   I'd like to have a machine acting as the local net gateway to the
> internet using a xDSL connection. It should also do masquerading or
> something similar which allows the 192'er clients to connect to the
> outside world using my dynamic ip.
>
>   I am *very* new to iptables and, unfortunately, also to debian. Where
> should I start looking for information?

This is a very common setup.  You should be able to find loads of
information on the web, including some examples that will be almost
exactly what you need.  Might I suggest a couple of links that I have
bookmarked and find very useful (beware the line wrapping):

Iptables tutorial

http://people.unix-fu.org/andreasson/iptables-tutorial/iptables-tutorial.html

Rusty's official packet filtering howto

http://www.iptables.org/documentation/HOWTO/packet-filtering-HOWTO.html

The second one in particular should have you up and running in no time,
the first link is good for more complicated operations and to get a
better understanding of how it actually all works.

Good luck,

Lucas