Re: NIC Problems in Kernel Compile

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 03:01:20PM -0500, Thomas Cook wrote:
> I'm running debian woody on a PII.  I've been wanting to set up a Mosix
> cluster, so as part of the setup, I'm compiling a new kernel (2.4.17),
> something which I've never had much luck with in the past.
>
> I download the kernel source from kernel.org, unpack into /usr/src, then I
> do these:
>
> cd linux/
> make menuconfig
> Make-kpkg clean
> Make-kpkg -rev=foo kernel_image
> Cd ..
> Dpkg kernel_image.bla
>
> Menuconfgig goes fine, and so does compile and dpkg.  When I boot up into
> the new kernel, everything seems to be working except for my NIC.  I have a
> 3com 3c59x, and usually use the 3c59x module (has always and still does work
> with my 2.2 kernel).  I've tried compiling support for the card into the
> kernel:
> Network Device Support --> Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) --> 3Com cards --> 3c590
> 3c5900 series ... "Vortex Boomerang" Support
>
> I've tried both install to the kernel (y) and use as a module (m), but each
> time, when I boot up into the completed kernel, the same thing.  Module
> loads fine during startup, but cant ping anything, eth0 gets no ip from
> DHCP, and refuses to.
>
> Tried just going ifdown then ifup, made sure module loads, took module off
> and then on, tried pump a few times, nothing.
>
> I don?t think that the Mosix stuff is messing up the networking, and I've
> left all the other kernel settings as defaults other than NIC.  Is there
> something I should be enabling that I'm not?  This is a strait forward
> system with no odd hardware or circumstances that I can think of.

What kind of 3c59x? (3c590, 3c595, 3c905 ...)?  I had big problems
recently with two 3c905s, a 3c590, and a 3Com switch (3c16981) that
refused to talk to each other.  I was using 2.4 17 ... I never thought
about going back to 2.2.x.  I finally gave up, kept the switch but
went to Netgear cards instead.

I know this doesn't solve your problem; it's merely a data point :)

--
Nathan Norman - Micromuse Ltd. mailto:nnorman@micromuse.com
  What's needed is a certification system that separates those who