NIC Problems in Kernel Compile

I'm running debian woody on a PII.  I've been wanting to set up a Mosix
cluster, so as part of the setup, I'm compiling a new kernel (2.4.17),
something which I've never had much luck with in the past.

I download the kernel source from kernel.org, unpack into /usr/src, then I
do these:

cd linux/
make menuconfig
Make-kpkg clean
Make-kpkg -rev=foo kernel_image
Cd ..
Dpkg kernel_image.bla

Menuconfgig goes fine, and so does compile and dpkg.  When I boot up into
the new kernel, everything seems to be working except for my NIC.  I have a
3com 3c59x, and usually use the 3c59x module (has always and still does work
with my 2.2 kernel).  I've tried compiling support for the card into the
kernel:
Network Device Support --> Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) --> 3Com cards --> 3c590
3c5900 series ... "Vortex Boomerang" Support

I've tried both install to the kernel (y) and use as a module (m), but each
time, when I boot up into the completed kernel, the same thing.  Module
loads fine during startup, but cant ping anything, eth0 gets no ip from
DHCP, and refuses to.

Tried just going ifdown then ifup, made sure module loads, took module off
and then on, tried pump a few times, nothing.

I don¹t think that the Mosix stuff is messing up the networking, and I've
left all the other kernel settings as defaults other than NIC.  Is there
something I should be enabling that I'm not?  This is a strait forward
system with no odd hardware or circumstances that I can think of.

Thanks,
-Tom