Re: [OT] Cable modem problem solved with hub

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 11:17:11AM +0100, Oivvio Polite wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-02-13 at 11:36, Paul Haesler wrote:
> > Sounds plausible to me.
> >
> > To test your theory:
> >
> > Try putting a different NIC in your FW.
> >

> The DHCP server at my ISP is hardcoded to give my static IP
> number only to requests coming from this NIC. It looks at the
> MAC address.

Yes, but can't you just try it to see if it works better?  Then
you could ask your ISP to change the MAC address in their
dhcpd.conf to match the new card.

> Speaking of this I noticed this line in /etc/dhclient.conf
>
> #send dhcp-client-identifier 1:0:a0:24:ab:fb:9c;

No, that is not actually the MAC address.  It's a "DHCP client
identifier" :)

ISC dhcpd uses that in preference to the MAC address, actually,
so it might work if you put a new card in and then set the
dhcp-client-identifier to be the same as the MAC address of the
old card, with a "1" in front of it.  I don't know if it will
actuallu work, though.

> Will setting this option really override the actual MAC
> address? The documentation is a bit scarce. That would be very
> convenient. In that case I can experiment with diffrent NICs
> without having to deal with the admins at my ISP.

>From the "ifconfig" man page:

       hw class address
              Set  the hardware address of this interface, if the
              device driver supports this operation.  The keyword
              must  be followed by the name of the hardware class
              and the printable ASCII equivalent of the  hardware
              address.    Hardware  classes  currently  supported
              include ether (Ethernet), ax25 (AMPR AX.25), ARCnet
              and netrom (AMPR NET/ROM).

i.e. you can set the MAC address of the card using ifconfig.

> > And try putting the accused NIC in another box and connecting
> > that to the CM.
> >
> I might do that to. Problem is just that I've run out of old
> pentium boxen.

:)

--
Michael Wood <mwood@its.uct.ac.za>