Re: Why all these unclean packets?

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 01:30:20PM +0100, Guillaume Morin wrote:
> Dans un message du 01 Dec à 15:58, mdevin@ozemail.com.au écrivait :
> > I appologise upfront for my ignorance on this matter.  But how do you
> > apply such a patch?
>
> You go to your kernel source directory (eg. /usr/src/linux) and run
> patch -p1 < path_of_the_patch. Anyway, this patch should be in 2.4.17,
> so you might want to wait if you don't want to play with patches.
>
> > Thanks for the info.  I am glad that it is not something that I have
> > done wrong to cause these.  I did only start to notice them after
> > upgrading to the 2.4.14 kernel from 2.4.4 - and I didn't change my
> > iptables rules in between.
>
> That is normal. Before 2.4.7, the unclean target matched all packets as
> clean *sigh*

Hmmm.  I didn't know that.  I actually thought that was providing some
added security for me.  Thanks for letting me know.  I got rid of those
firewall rules (and now, no more unclean packets in the logs).

I will have to do a little reading on patching the kernel.  What
confused me was that the patch was imbedded in the email.  I didn't know
what part to get out to put in a file, nor what/how to call it.

For now I think I will wait for the next kernel version and just compile
a new one.

Thanks.
Mark.