Re: Could someone please explain this output?

Hi,

	Here is the output from 'ipchains -L input -v' :

Chain input (policy DENY: 0 packets, 0 bytes):
 pkts bytes target     prot opt    tosa tosx  ifname     mark
outsize  source                destination           ports
  380 34580 ACCEPT     all  ------ 0xFF 0x00  lo
anywhere             anywhere              n/a
    0     0 DENY       all  ----l- 0xFF 0x00  !lo
127.0.0.0/8          anywhere              n/a
10502 1034K ACCEPT     all  ------ 0xFF 0x00  eth1
localnet/24          anywhere              n/a
    0     0 DENY       all  ----l- 0xFF 0x00  eth0
localnet/24          anywhere              n/a
15049 9223K ACCEPT     all  ------ 0xFF 0x00  eth0
anywhere             cs9349-21.austin.rr.com  n/a
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  ------ 0xFF 0x00  eth0
anywhere             255.255.255.255       n/a
    0     0 DENY       all  ----l- 0xFF 0x00  any
anywhere             anywhere              n/a

	This confirms Vineet's diagnosis. I cant help notice that the 'l'
flag is set in the 'opt' field every time the target is DENY. Is this a
coincidence? Where is the meaning of this output documented? I couldnt
find it anywhere.

	Also, I am not sure of the purpose of these rules - especially the
ones with DENY. Why are they blocking what they are blocking?

Thanks,
Jor-el