Adding a 2nd NIC

Hello all,

A week or two ago I raised a few queries regarding the addition of a
second NIC to my firewall to create a DMZ for a web server.  I will
continue to use dial-up access to the internet for the time being via
ppp0.  The eth0 interface is to be protected by a strong ruleset with
eth1 being the DMZ.

I have added a second 3c509 to my machine which is identified on boot
and labelled eth1.  I can't seem to assign eth1 an IP address whether I
edit config files or use ifconfig.  I get a message saying...

SIOCSIFFLAGS:Resource Temporarily Unavailable

I found numerous references to this problem using google but can't
follow the first suggestion, ie turn off PnP in the BIOS, as it is an
old 486 and doesn't have this option.

To try and find out which card is eth0 and which is eth1 I have a
network cable plugged into each card and my hub.  I can ping the
firewall (Alpha) from my windows machine (Beta).  I can also ping Beta
from Alpha but get the following:-

PING Beta (192.168.1.3): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.1.3: icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=2.5 ms (DUP!)
64 bytes from 192.168.1.3: icmp_seq=2 ttl=128 time=2.3 ms (DUP!)

It looks to me as though it is using both interfaces to do the ping.
Which strikes me as being odd as the second one doesn't have an IP
address assigned to it.  The collision LED on the hub goes mad too.

If I remove either of the network cables and try to ping Beta the
machine goes into an infinite loop which needs a power cycle to clear.

I am reluctant to admit defeat but am on the verge of removing the 2nd
NIC.

Can anyone help resolve this?  I read about a DOS utility called
3c5x9cfg that can be used to change IRQs.  Is that what I need?  If so,
can I use it even though the Alpha box only has Debian on it?

Apologies if this is an over long posting but I've attached the contents
of various files which you might want to look at...

dma
===

 4: cascade

interrupts
==========

          CPU0
  0:      12416          XT-PIC  timer
  1:        202          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
 10:         18          XT-PIC  eth0
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:      32516          XT-PIC  ide0
NMI:          0

ioports
=======

0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0070-007f : rtc
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
01f0-01f7 : ide0
02f8-02ff : serial(set)
0300-030f : 3c509
03c0-03df : vga+
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : serial(set)

interfaces
==========

 /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.1.1
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 192.168.1.0