Re: name server on firewall box?

:-> "Christian" == Christian Volk <debian@volkedv.de> writes:

    > I want to run the minium of services on my router/firewall. In
    > the current
    > setup the DNS server is on another box. It resolves the local names and
    > forwards other requests to the ISP's name servers.

    > With the new ISP it seems I don't have any choice but to move
    > the name server
    > to the router/firewall machine to set the IPs after dial-up.

    > Is this advisable or should I find a method to communicate the
    > name server
    > IPs from the router/firewall on the other box?

just run a full DNS on whatever machine you want, without using the
provider's one. You will directly poll the master nameservers, it will
be a little slower (not noticeable, unless you query a lot of
different addresses per second), but your local dns will grow an
internal cache, so after a while the most requested addresses will be
already there....

Pf

 Pierfrancesco Caci | ik5pvx | mailto:p.caci@tin.it  -  http://gusp.dyndns.org
  Firenze - Italia  | Office for the Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs
     Linux penny 2.4.3 #1 Sat Mar 31 14:03:42 CEST 2001 i686 unknown