Re: Routing problem...

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 09:55:13AM -0600, Robert Guthrie wrote:
> I'm not going to tell you how to configure the routing of the firewall, as
> I've never done it, but I will give you a very important tip for
> configuring you DSL connection.
>
> First, you'll likely need the pppoe package.  Install it first.  The
> instructions in /usr/share/doc/pppoe will tell you to edit a few files
> related to network connections.  Go ahead and do what they say, but keep
> in mind that you need to migrate those changes into the new way of doing
> things (namely using /etc/network/interfaces for configuring your ethX and
> ppp0 devices).

other things to remember if u have pppoe and a 2.4.x kernel:
you can use pppoe support in th kernel and then use ppp patched
to support pppoe, the difference between this solution and the one described
above is that this one use pppoe support in kernel space ( faster and "securer" )

> Note one very important thing with regards to pppoe and masquerading: you
> MUST set all computers on your private network (192.168.1.0) to have their
> network cards' MTU set to 1452.  This is done under linux with the command
> "/sbin/ifconfig eth0 mtu 1452.  I'd recommend putting this in
> /etc/network/interfaces. Here's an example of my entry for one of the
> MASQed computers (address 192.168.2.10):
> iface eth0 inet static
>     pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 mtu 1452
>     address 192.168.2.10
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>     broadcast 192.168.2.255
>     network 192.168.2.0
>     gateway 192.168.2.1

if you are using iptable you can patch your kernel with tcpmss option
after that you can use mtu to 1500.

all is better explained here :   http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~mostrows

regards
Samuele

--
Samuele Tonon  <samu@mclink.it>
Undergraduate Student  of  Computer Science at  University of Bologna, Italy