RE: Firewall on a debian Box.

Rather than indivudually shutting down ports, you're much better off from a
security standpoint figuring out what services you need to allow (http,
https, smtp, pop3, ssh, ftp, are all likely candidates for a hosting ISP)
and implicitly denying all services, then setting rules to allow those.

There are graphical front-ends to ipchains, most of which can be found on
freshmeat (http://www.freshmeat.net) that make constructing your rule-base
much easier.  GFCC is my personal choice, but there may be others that have
been developed since I started using it.  The ipchains HOW-TO will give you
a pretty good idea of how it all fits in and how to get ipchains configured
and running.

Make sure you harden the OS, too.  There's nothing more embarassing than
having your firewall get owned.  Blocking traceroute and icmp at the border
router will help conceal the firewall's existance, as well having ipchains
deny all connections to the firewall that don't originate from your
intranet.

I know this is a Debian discussion, but might I suggest checking out
Netscreen firewall devices as well.  They're not very expensive, perform
well, are highly configurable, and can operate in a true transparent mode.
We've been evaluating them here where I work and I'm using one at home on my
DSL connection....I've turned my Linux firewall into a counter-strike server
now that it's firewall services are no longer needed.  I'll probably never
go back.  </shameless-plug>

Jason