Re: Newbie Questions Part 2

> I would expect that exim or some MTA is required.  Personally, cron
and anacron send me mail everyday (I have stuff in /lost+found), but
even if cron isn't installed, certain programs/daemons may still send
you mail.  (sshd sends root an email if telnetd is installed, etc.)

        Also, debconf will warn of problems this way, or suidregister,
as a matter of fact *most tools* (snort, for example) make this a required
package. You need detection+reaction as well as protection, so this are a must
(just
reading "Time based security" at the moment, so ticklish about this issues :)

        Javi