Re: Newbie Questions Part 2

::snip::

> >While I am on the subject of packages does anyone have any advice about
> >setting up exim (or point me in the direction of any advice on the
> >net)?.  I am not even entirely sure I know what exim does.
>
> Again ... on a firewall/router? Whatever would you want it there for? exim
> is a Mail Transport Agent (MTA); it manages sending and receipt of e-mail.
>
> If you do need it, run exim_config, which does a pretty good job of
> prompting you, and ask specifically about what you don't understand ... here
> for questions related to router/firewalls, otherwise someplace appropriate
> for general Linux question.

I would expect that exim or some MTA is required.  Personally, cron and anacron send me mail everyday (I have stuff in /lost+found), but even if cron isn't installed, certain programs/daemons may still send you mail.  (sshd sends root an email if telnetd is installed, etc.)
	--xsdg

::snip::
> --
> Ray Olszewski                                        -- Han Solo
> Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com
::snip::

 / It is better to let one suspect that you are a fool than to open your mouth\
{    and leave them no doubt.    http://xsdg.hypermart.net  xsdg@softhome.net  }