Re: Newbie, someone have how-to on from-scratch Debian firewall?

Regarding your other question, if your disk size would depend on your CDR
capacity, there is currently a technique to write ~800mB to a CDR...another method
that will reduce backup size is selective backups (not backing up non-essential
stuff like /var/tmp or /usr/src).

OTOH, if you have a 600mB hdd...not installing X will leave enough room for
Emacs :o) , and mailing capabilities (especially sendmail), if removed, will save
you a lot of room.

	--xsdg

::snip!::

> I'm talking a basic two-ethernet one-subnet firewall on a dedicated Debian
> box using the latest Debian installed from a CD-ROM.
>
> If there isn't such a beast... I'm willing to start one.  However, I need
> someone to feed me steps.  Starting with... if you wanted to keep the system
> to a size that could be imaged to CD-ROM (backup)... how would you partition
> 600MB hard disk?  What packages should be installed?

::snip!::

 / It is better to let one suspect that you are a fool than to open your
mouth\
{    and leave them no doubt.    http://xsdg.hypermart.net  xsdg@softhome.net
}