Re: Basic info on ports/services

> On Tue, 30 May 2000, woofcow wrote:
>
> > > Also, is there an online site where I can run a port scan at my own
> > machine
> > > (i.e. externally, since my firewalling rules are different for
internal
> > > machines)?  I know <http://www.grc.com> does that, but I have a
suspicion
> > > it's not checking all ports.
> > can't help you with the other stuff, but there's a good online port
scanner
> > at http://www.cotse.com/refs.htm - near the bottom of the page.
>
> Hi I went to this site www.cotse.com and found the portscanner at the
> bottom of
> the page. I pressed the port-scan button and saw in my syslog that a lot
> of ports where scanned.
> After some minutes suddenly someone from ip 216.112.42.62 tried to start
> an ssh connection????? Is this for real???? Are there someone out there
> who keeps an eye on this page for to find out a users ip-number?
> /micke
wow - ok that doesn't sound too good for a security site! erm...had the scan
finished (may not be relevant :)? i dont know where the scan actually
originates from: going to find out now...ok i guess it must be the server at
cotse...

my only explanation would be that it was part of the cgi checking the
security of your box. whether or not they would have told you if they could
get into your box over the secure shell or if they were actually trying to
break in remains unseen. if you are too worried send your logs to them and
see what they have to say.

oh, btw i am in NO way affiliated with www.cotse.com - ive only browsed the
site and checked out the scanner :-)

sorry i couldnt be more help.