Re: More spf questions (bug report?)

Hi

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 02:16:49PM +0200, Giacomo Mulas wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Michael Wood wrote:
[snip]
> > The simplest solution I can think of is to install an FTP proxy
> > server :)
>
> I will probably do that in the near future, but I wanted to
> avoid delving into this right now. Would dante (in potato
> and/or woody) do the trick, for example?

Yes, I think so, but dante is a generic proxy server, so it
would allow all sorts of thing to work through the proxy (which
might be what you want anyway...) unless you block them in the
config file.  It is one option.  Another option is the SuSE FTP
proxy (you get the source and compile it.  It will work on any
Linux distribution AFAIK.  It's just written by SuSE.)

I have used the TIS FWTK ftp-gw (Trusted Information Systems
Firewall Toolkit FTP gateway) before and the SuSE ftp proxy.
They are similar in functionality, but the SuSE proxy allows for
incoming connections to an internal FTP server as well if you
want it to.

Unfortunately, they are not transparent to the FTP client.  The
ftp client needs to support an FTP proxy server (normally called
a "firewall" by the FTP client.) or else you can log in with a
"username" of the form "user@ftp.example.com".

--
Michael Wood        | Tel: +27 21 762 0276 | http://www.kingsley.co.za/
wood@kingsley.co.za | Fax: +27 21 761 9930 | Kingsley Technologies