Re: ftp proxy

Hi

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 06:07:28PM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 01:11:14PM +0200, Michael Wood wrote:
> > Nope.  Squid is not the same kind of FTP proxy as the TIS ftp-gw
> > and the SuSE ftp proxy.  With Squid, you do FTP over HTTP, i.e.
> > a client sends "GET ftp://ftp.example.com/somefile"; and then
> > gets the file or directory listing back in the same TCP
> > connection.  With "proper" FTP proxies, there is a command
> > channel and a data channel (as I am sure you know.)  It's a
> > completely different protocol.
>
> Sure it is. I was typing faster than thinking. What I meant
> was a proxy as transparent to user as squid is to you normal
> netscape user.

Well, in that case...  If you don't mind putting in proxy server
settings into Netscape, some FTP clients allow you to put in
firewall settings.  I know the Windows clients CuteFTP and
WS_FTP both support proxy servers like the TIS ftp-gw and SuSE's
FTP proxy.

I realise you might be talking about transparently forcing
browsers to use Squid, though, in which case ignore this message
;)

--
Michael Wood        | Tel: +27 21 762 0276 | http://www.kingsley.co.za/
wood@kingsley.co.za | Fax: +27 21 761 9930 | Kingsley Technologies