Re: ftp proxy

Hi

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 04:01:05PM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
[snip]
> Is there something like a transparent proxy available? I'd like to have ftp
> sessions in which the user does not even notice he's using a proxy.

I am not aware of one.

> I guess I could write one that routes all queries via squid.

Nope.  Squid is not the same kind of FTP proxy as the TIS ftp-gw
and the SuSE ftp proxy.  With Squid, you do FTP over HTTP, i.e.
a client sends "GET ftp://ftp.example.com/somefile"; and then
gets the file or directory listing back in the same TCP
connection.  With "proper" FTP proxies, there is a command
channel and a data channel (as I am sure you know.)  It's a
completely different protocol.

[snip]

--
Michael Wood        | Tel: +27 21 762 0276 | http://www.kingsley.co.za/