Re: Which directorys should be read only vs. writable.

> > Another Option is to have a minimized /dev for booting and overwrite it with
> > a Ramdisk or a Loopback Filesystem which suppors all Devices which are
> > needed after the boot is finished.
>
> I agree that this would work but it seems too complicated.  It would
> seem better to clean up the filesystem and application so that they
> don't write into /dev at all even during boot.

no, it's very easy :
mkdir /etc/vdev
dd if=/dev/zero of=/etc/vdev/dev.fs bs=1024 count=SIZE
mkminix -i INODES /etc/vdev/dev.fs
mount /etc/vdev/dev.fs /mnt
cd /mnt
/dev/MAKEDEV -I generic
rm all files that you do not need
cd
umount /mnt
echo /etc/vdev/dev.fs /dev minix defaults 0 0 >> /etc/fstab

that's it.

problems you might have :
a) /dev/null must still exist, some scripte use it before /dev is
	mounted
b) init works with comunicating via /dev/initctl. Make sure you
	"killall -SIGUSR1 init"
   so init reconnects to the new initctl pipe.
	(btw : in my tests this didn't work, but my test system
	 is very, very, very unusual (mounting / readonly from nfs
	 and such stuff), so please try yourself.

andreas