Re: Which directorys should be read only vs. writable.

	Henry Hollenberg     speed@barney.iamerica.net

On Sun, 8 Mar 1998, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> Running MAKEDEV on boot-up is not required on a stripped-down Firewall host.
> Therefore the only Modifications in /dev at runtime are "chown" of the TTYs
> and A-Time for all accessed devices. A-Time will not be done on read-only
> media, and the cown for TTYs is not needed on a system where u dont have
> interactiv Users logged in.

Would we be able to log in at the console?.....over the net via ssh/ssl?

> Another Option is to have a minimized /dev for booting and overwrite it with
> a Ramdisk or a Loopback Filesystem which suppors all Devices which are
> needed after the boot is finished.

Can this be done with the system as it stands now or will changes have to
be made, I'm installing the three systems making up this firewall now?

hgh