Re: Enterprise and Debian Pure Blends

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

> "DVBCUT is a Qt application that allows you to select certain parts of
> an MPEG transport stream (as received via Digital Video Broadcasting,
> DVB) and save these parts into a single MPEG output file. It follows a
> `keyhole surgery'' approach where the input video and audio data is
> mostly kept unchanged, and only very few frames at the beginning and/or
> end of the selected range are re-encoded in order to obtain a valid MPEG
> file."

> If you were searching for software to cut commercials out of movies,
> would you somehow get the idea to search for software that "allows you
> to select certain parts of an MPEG transport stream [...] and save these
> parts into a single MPEG output file"? I never would.

I think that's a legitimate wishlist bug against the dvbcut package asking
to make the package description a bit less technical and a bit friendlier
to end users who aren't sure what the package would be used for.  If we
solve the problem in the package description, anything that uses the
package description then benefits.

> Did you ever notice the huge Keep-away-O-cracy they have? Try to provide
> a Debian package, and you are totally overwhelmed with tons of
> documentation to read and lengthy preliminaries and whatnot before you
> could do anything. You just figure your package isn't that important and
> give up ...

It's a bit ironic that we have this problem whereas Fedora has the
opposite problem (you can't find decent documentation outside of the
mailing list archives).

I'd rather have the problem that Debian has.  If we have too much
documentation, that means at least all the information is out there and
we're probably just presenting it incorrectly.

That's one thing that I'd like to see those of us on this mailing list
tackle.  As I mentioned at DebConf, enterprises using Debian are in
desperate need for good introductory packaging documentation as well, and
unlike the documentation aimed at Debian that tries to be inclusive, would
rather have documentation that states one and only one way to do things
(with pointers if one really wants to learn more).  This seems like a
niche that we could help fill.