Re: Enterprise and Debian Pure Blends

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 07:07:22PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> Looking at a single package level you are just lost in the large pool
> and thus we should rather have a view on package groups which are
> useful to do certain tasks.

It would be nice if it was easier to browse by groups with
aptitude. Aptitude is horrible ...

>From my point of view, the problem is to find out what software is
available for something you want to do. Even if you you could look at
packages at a group level, you'd still need to look at every single
package in a group --- or in several groups --- to see if it can be
useful for what you want to do. Since there are so many packages, that
leaves you with apt-cache search [something] | grep | less, google and
sites like freshmeat.net and sourceforge. In the end, with finding
software what counts it's your knowledge (to a great deal from
browsing that long package list and reading the descriptions), your
experience with finding what you need and your good or bad luck with
using the right keywords in your searches.

Having that said, I wish many, if not most, of the package
descriptions would tell you some more about the software, saving you
having to install it to read the documentation and to try it out to
find out if this software happens to have just that particular feature
or functionality you're after. It doesn't at all matter into which
group someone put that software.

So after all, what's the use of groups?