Re: Enterprise and Debian Pure Blends

Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> writes:

> Well, the idea of metapackages was to *circumvent* browsing with
> aptitude at all and just teach people to install the metapackage.  It is
> somehow turning the knowledge of the Blend maintainer into a recipe:
> Just install metapackage X and you are ready (you might use apt-get or
> any other interface).

I admit, I have a hard time seeing metapackages as particularly useful for
enterprise server applications.  At the enterprise level, it's even more
likely than it is normally that any given OS is going to be hosting a
single application at best, which means that there tend to be fewer
applications installed on enterprise servers than the average Debian
system.  Also, generally server best practices say to install the minimum
software required to do whatever task the server is supposed to perform.
All of these work somewhat actively against metapackages.

However, all that being said, the *web pages* that you've put together for
tasks and metapackages are interesting, and I think could provide a nice
way for people to locate a list of possible solutions to a problem, from
which they can consider possibilities.

> This exactly is what we want to prevent and we are targeting at users
> who just do not have this knowledge in the first place nor will find the
> time to read all this stuff.  Back to the topic enterprise:  In this
> specific case I assume that this is not a big deal for admins in
> enterprises because I expect those people to know the packages they want
> to use in the first place.  Here I would rather expect that the aspect
> of making package groups working together by reasonable configuration is
> in the main focus.

Making things work well together is important, but mostly not on the same
system.  The integration is usually at a level broader than on a single
system.