Re: Debian Jessie cross compiling via emdebian broken

On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 12:07:41PM -0800, Kris Bahnsen wrote:
> I'm guessing that reply means there is no chance of Emdebian
> updating the offending packages to match what is available in Debian
> Jessie so it will start working coherently again?

That's a good question. I'm not sure who's in charge of that repo or
what the policy is regarding updates like this. Perhaps someone else on
the list will speak to that. I'd be happy to see it updated, and happy
to help.

It's a little ugly, because only the latest version of Jessie would work,
and if relevant packages in Jessie get updated again, we'd have to
rebuild again. But as you're discovering, there's probably only value in
these packages if they keep up with Jessie LTS.

> The issue is that we have a handful of products that are ARM based
> using Debian Jessie. Being able to cross compile on a host PC with
> Jessie means the available libraries will line up and we won't have
> customers in their own dependency hell if everything can come as a
> binary from Debian. Because of this, we document the process in our
> manuals to acquire a cross toolchain using the instructions from the
> original URL I linked. Another thing is that with Jessie based
> products, we have armel and armhf variants as well. So we would need
> to move forward with a solution for both.
>
> If no chance of Emdebian updating packages, I would guess that below
> are our only options. Would you kindly let me know if you think I
> missed anything?
>
> - Update our manuals to have a detailed step-by-step of the process
>     you outlined.
> - Create and distribute our own .deb packages for this purpose.
> - Use Debian's cross-gcc-dev
>   https://wiki.debian.org/BuildingCrossCompilers and either document
>   that or distribute our own .deb package.
> - Find a separate cross compiler and distribute that in some manner.

That sounds about right. Hopefully, someone will chime in and we can get
emdebian.org/tools/debian Jessie updated. If not, the least onerous
solution might be standing up a repository of your own to host these
updated packages for your customers.

-- Ryan