Re: Control Debian image size

Hi,

the first question is do you need/want your system to be Debian?
Debian gives you stable base, reuse of broadly tested and deployed
binary packages, good support, security updates.

Johannes has very good described steps to shrink size of Debian system.

Here is information about shrinking size provided from ELBE:
Information source: https://elbe-rfs.org/images/20150322-clt-elbe.pdf

For example, default image size (from 2015)
231 MB
common finetuning rules
-44 MB (rm /var/lib/apt/lists/*debian*)
-40 MB (rm /var/cache/apt/*.bin)
-40 MB (rm /usr/share/locale/*)
-13 MB (rm /usr/share/doc)
-08 MB (rm /usr/share/man*)
new rfs size
86 MB

It brings you easy below 128M requirements.

You may look at ELBE (https://elbe-rfs.org). It doesn't only build
images (in format you need: ubifs, tar, MSDOS parttable),
but allows you to check for (security) updates, generate license
information, source CD for license compliance.

But you certainly can go smaller with buildroot or Open Embedded.

--
Best regards,
Andrey Skvortsov