Re: Debian based Filesystems with ELBE

Hi,

On 16:03 Mon 11 Jan     , Bill Gatliff wrote:

>    If you are describing package dependencies, I have found that
>    meta-packages solve that problem neatly. And the result is compatible
>    out-of-the-box with the rest of Debian.

that's true for people that are familiar with Debian and know howto generate
a meta-package. But most of the people using ELBE have nether used Debian or
even any Linux on an embedded system. And they need an easy to understand
tooling for creating their firmware images including their application.

>    If you are describing the process to translate a directory into a
>    filesystem image, shell scripts and guestfish have worked well for me.
>    And, they tend to mirror the instructions of a HOWTO, so they're
>    self-documenting.

That's also true, but there is no guarantee that guestfish version x behaves
like version y. Also you need to add your debootstrap-wrapper script and
your image generation script to your version control system and ensure, that
they are compatible.

Also there is absolutely no guarantee that you can reproduce an image that
behaves the same in 2 years. This is what we solved by generating the initvm
and archiving all debs together with the image build.
And this is a must have, if your image is used e.g. in a part of an industrial
automation process or in a health-care device.