Re: Debian based Filesystems with ELBE

Hi Martin,

On 15:02 Mon 11 Jan     , W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> Quoting Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org>:
> >*Another debootstrap wrapper* ?? Please no.
>
> I would prefer a more welcoming attitude when someone presents
> their new contribution to Debian. But, hey, that's Debian! :~)

I tried to write a short mail and describe the main feature. Of
course we don't want to have the same wrapper over and over again.
I can understand the answer and hope that the other mail shows that
elbe is more than just a debootstrap wrapper.

> >There was a session at DebConf15 which identified about 15 existing
> >wrappers that do much the same thing already.
>
> Manuel, Neil, could you try to identify whether or not ELBE has
> any "unique selling points" compared to other tools? E.g. to me
> the automatic generation of a license file looks interesting and
> I did not see elsewhere. At the fist sight ELBE looks more
> "complete" to me than the other tools I looked at some years ago.

I just tried to figure it out in the other post on this ML.

> What I find strange with ELBE is how XML is (ab)used where IMHO
> either RFC2822 style would be better (readability, common in
> Debian, e.g. debian/control) or Shell/Python. E.g. why
> "<rm>/usr/share/doc</rm>" instead of rm -rf or shutil.rmtree()?

The idea was to have a syntax with a grammar -> XML. We wanted a
single file to describe everything and we didn't want to embedd one format in
another.

  Manuel