Re: Unmet dependencies problem in CrossToolchains

+++ John Morris [2015-03-30 17:10 -0500]:

> Verified that `apt-get install crossbuild-essential-armhf` now
> succeeds.  Thank you!

Good :-)

> A couple more issues:
>
> - A package (Xenomai) requires `build-essential`, but nothing
> installed by `crossbuild-essential-armhf` provides
> `build-essential:armhf`.  That causes `mk-build-deps -a armhf` to
> fail.  How is this normally addressed in a Debian package
> cross-compile scenario?

There is a plan to move to build-essential:armhf rather than
crossbuild-essential-armhf at some point, (see 3.8 at
https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2014/BootstrapSprint/Results) but in
the meantime is that explicit dependency on build-essential correct?
This dependency is implicit for source packages. Is this a binary
package that depends on build-essential (because it builds things?)?

> - Another project (Machinekit) I updated for cross-building will
> want `pkg-config`.  Ubuntu supplies a special cross-build-aware
> version, `pkg-config-arm-linux-gnueabihf`.  I'll pick it up, since I
> don't see it in the Emdebian distribution.  Is that package
> something on the Emdebian maintainers' radar?

Yes. see 3.7 on the above link. We prefer to have a multiarch-aware
pkg-config rather than the ubuntu pkg-config-arm-linux-gnueabihf, but
the pkg-config maintainer is not yet convinced that this is the way to
go. See #759556

In the meantime there is a multiarch-aware verison of pkg-config in
the debian-tools repo on emdebian.org (to demonstrate that it works
just fine).
http://emdebian.org/tools/debian/pool/main/p/pkg-config/

Not sure why you didn't find that.

http://wookware.org/