Re: Recommend way to use Multistrap

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 14:29:32 +1100
"Brendan Simon (eTRIX)" <brendan.simon@etrix.com.au> wrote:

> What is the recommended way to use Multistrap?  I'm using Jessie
> (Debian 8).

$ sudo multistrap

> multistrap is not in my user path, but it is in the path of root.  I
> suppose I could run multistrap as root but I presume that is not how
> it is intended to be run (potentially dangerous).

No. Multistrap is absolutely intended to be run as root. Always.

Some attempts have been made to use things like fakeroot but that is
*not* the intended use.

It can be useful to use a VM when *developing* multistrap - run as root
inside the VM.

> How should I run it as a user?

With sudo.

> The manpage says Multistrap needs a chroot but chroot doesn't work
> under fakeroot, so therefore fakeroot can't be used.

Multistrap builds a chroot to do the work. Multistrap runs outside the
chroot, hence needs to run as root.

> I note there is a fakechroot package.  Is it recommended to use
> multistrap with fakechroot.

No. multistrap is not intended to be used inside a chroot, it would
have to create another chroot inside that.