Re: Recommend way to use Multistrap

Hi Brendan,

Quoting Brendan Simon (eTRIX) (2015-10-29 06:03:55)
> According to a post I saw from the original author (I think) of
> polystrap, he eventually gave up on it and recommends using proot.

the original polystrap author would be me.

I switched to proot because of all the conceptual problems fakechroot has with
foreign arch chroots. For example you need a foreign arch libfakechroot.

The ptrace based proot does without that and also gives me fake bind-mount
support and easier execution of foreign arch binaries through qemu-user mode,
so I decided to use it instead.

> I notice there is github fork of polystrap which has proot support, and also
> brickstrap (another fork of polyroot with proot).  Brickstrap is used for
> Lego Mindstorms EV3 and is quite active apparently, and it is suggested that
> Brickstrap would also be quite active.
>
> I'm trying Brickstrap now, and will try Polystrap also.

If you are interested in polystrap, feel free to take over development. My most
recent code can be found here:

https://gitlab.mister-muffin.de/josch/polystrap/commits/master/polystrap.sh

The old repository is on github (and doesn't have proot suppport because it's
unmaintained):

https://github.com/josch/polystrap/commits/master

But I gave up on using github, so my own gitlab instance has the newer code.
But I guess that even more improvements can be found in brickstrap.

I gave up on polystrap because at some point I didn't have time anymore to
fight against the windmills. Plus, now I'm more interested in using Linux user
namespaces instead:

https://blog.mister-muffin.de/2015/10/25/unshare-without-superuser-privileges/

Thanks!

cheers, josch