Re: Recommend way to use Multistrap

Quoting Neil Williams (2015-10-29 08:37:24)
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 14:29:32 +1100
> "Brendan Simon (eTRIX)" <brendan.simon@etrix.com.au> wrote:
>
>> What is the recommended way to use Multistrap?  I'm using Jessie
>> (Debian 8).
>
> $ sudo multistrap
>
>> multistrap is not in my user path, but it is in the path of root.  I
>> suppose I could run multistrap as root but I presume that is not how
>> it is intended to be run (potentially dangerous).
>
> No. Multistrap is absolutely intended to be run as root. Always.
>
> Some attempts have been made to use things like fakeroot but that is
> *not* the intended use.

Above are the opinion of the author of multistrap, so be cautious even
filing wishlist bugreports for improving faked root support.

That said, I agree with you that bootstrapping as regular user has its
benefits - I haven't given up yet on the concept.

If interested, then my newest attempt using only code in Debian + a few
config scripts is in git://anonscm.debian.org/git/showme/box in the
"multistrap" subdir:
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/showme/box.git/tree/multistrap

Looking now I realize it lacks documentation and is not yet demo'ed in
the outer project (which is this: https://wiki.debian.org/ShowMeBox ) -
you are welcome to ask more about it, I need to improve on it anyway the
upcoming weeks, so interest from others is encouragement :-)

 - Jonas