Re: poky-debian

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 9:18 PM, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 14:51:23 +0100
Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:

> +++ Neil Williams [2015-04-07 09:02 +0100]:
>
> > I no longer have write access to the Emdebian website.
>
> You can have some if you want it Neil :-)

I'd have trouble finding the time to do much with it. Sorry.

> An OE-based debian build has always been an interesting idea. Nice to
> see someone actually trying it.

This came up during the early stages of Emdebian Crush - basically the
consensus amongst teams within Debian at the time is that such a
distribution would neither be OE nor Debian.

What is it that prevents a package built in one system from installing on the other?

The opportunities for
merging any of this into either would be few and the workload of
maintaining such a double fork is, IMHO, prohibitive.

Both pokey-debian and meta-debian have a limited number of packages available so they do appear to be resource constrained.

Doing it once is
one thing, I'm not at all sure how it could be keep up to date with two
divergent (and largely unrelated) bases. An interesting project for a
one-off, maybe. There is a limited niche for systems with the storage
limitations which would necessitate such a distro.

The OE / Yocto advantage is the ability to switch out a BSP easily. I suppose simply building a Debian root file system can achieve the same thing, more or less.

Cheers,

Jeremiah