Re: [04/05] Embedded with systemd: systemd and kernel upgrades

On 17/11/2014 14:45, Jean-Christian de Rivaz wrote:
> If you take the risk to rely exclusively on a vendor BSP, take your
> responsibility and don't blame others for your poor choice. Most today
> SoC vendors understand that there must upload there patches to mainline
> kernel and do it routinely. This means that while some vendors still
> offer BSP (because there have clients asking for it), last mainline
> kernel run as well just fine on there SoC.

Wow, how wonderful that the SoC you use has mainline support.

There are many different decisions that go into platform choice, only
one of which is the kernel version.

Until now the kernel version wasn't even that important since you could
always upgrade the userspace and keep the old kernel.

> Fell free to try it all. I have do that since many years and found that
> the Jessie armhf port is actually vastly superior to anything out there.

I agree, the debian armhf ports are wonderful and I use them where I
can. With devicetree becoming more and more common, the mainline kernel
is supporting more SoC than ever before.

Regards,